October Update

Since my first blog post last month, I have accumulated the rest of my service hours for the semester. I have been volunteering at Second Harvest Food Bank in Elmwood. I usually go on Saturdays for the "Food Sorting & Packing" events. This consists of doing quality control on food that has been donated to the warehouse, separating it into four different categories, and packing it up again in boxes to be distributed. This is pretty much the only activity I do every time I've come here for the past couple of years. 

So imagine my surprise when I show up to a "Food Sorting & Packing" event to see all of these rubber ducks and no food. 35,000 of them to be exact. It turns out that these ducks were for the Rubber Duck Derby, which is a fundraiser to benefit the food bank. I had never heard of it before but you can win great prizes and the money goes to a great organization! I'll definitely be participating next year. 

Our task that afternoon was to place numbered stickers on these ducks until we ran out of sticker sheets. For approximately 90 minutes, I alone put stickers on 500 ducks that day. I imagine it took a lot of time and people to place little stickers on so many ducks. 

It might sound trivial and boring doing the same thing over and over again, but I really enjoy my time at Second Harvest. They rely so much on volunteers to help out in order to get the job done. It's rewarding to know that my efforts are benefiting hungry families and are directly involved in helping to end hunger in the state.

      

Service hours in October: 6 hours, 40 minutes
Total service hours: 12 hours, 10 minutes

Comments

Popular Posts